Saturday, July 11, 2015

Jumping for Joya

One of my favorite places in the Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill area is Joya. Joya serves Thai/Asian food with vegetarian options. Not only is it cheap and affordable, but the food is great too! They offer multiple options from spicy curries to fried calamari to bowls of noodles, all delicious. It's literally the only place I will go for Thai food, coming in from Staten Island regularly just for a bite. Everyone that I have brought there to try has never had anything bad to say about it. The portions are hefty but you always leave there feeling satisfied but not like you've over indulged. For appetizer, I always enjoy the Fried Tiger Shrimp Rolls with the plum sauce. For the summer they also have a really great Salmon Avocado Summer Roll with a spicy Thai peanut sauce. The fried calamari appetizer is really delicious too, for something that isn't known for being Thai it's definitely a pleasant surprise. For an entree, I always get the Shrimp Woon Sen, glass noodles with shrimp, mixed vegetable, and eggs. It's my favorite and no matter how many times I say I'll try something new, I can never part from what I know will be a delicious explosion in my mouth. The tiger shrimp rolls and Woon Sen are pictured below. 
During the week the wait for Joya is not so bad, but on the weekends unless you go for an early dinner you could be there for a while. Luckily there is a DJ always playing and a full bar with drinks flowing. The bar prices are also affordable and they have some Asian style beers that are pretty good. If you're in the area, it's definitely a spot to stop and grab a bite. They deliver if you live close by and do take out orders, as well. 

Since Joya never really leaves you overly stuffed, there is always room for dessert. One of my absolute favorite ice cream places in Park Slope is just a short ride from Joya. So on my last visit for Thai food, I  drove over to Union St and Third Ave and indulged in some Ample Hills Creamery Ice Cream. 

Ample Hills Creamery prides itself on its use of all natural ingredients. The milk and eggs that come from hormone free, grass-fed chickens and cows are churned and made right on premises. They try to avoid extracts and use fresh ingredients. Although it is probably a longer process, it's definitely worth it. The ice cream is to die for. There are combinations of unique and original flavors, all with a twist. My favorites are the Butter Pecan Brittle and the Chocolate Milk & Cookies, seen below. 
I've had others like the Snap, Mallow, Pop, Salted Crack Caramel, and Raw Deal. None of them have ever disappointed me or anyone that I've peer pressured into breaking their diets for this delicious treat (Sorry Megan & Chris hahaha) 
I think they agree it was worth it & approve the deliciousness :) 

There are two shops in Brooklyn, one in Park Slope and one in Gowanus. During the summer you can also visit their Kiosk on Pier 6 in Brooklyn Bridge Park. There is even the option to order 6 packs of some of their flavors online. Ice cream cakes are available for preorder (I've never had any but I'm sure they're spectacular & I want one for my next birthday so you know who this pertains to you bahaha). Speaking of birthdays by the way, they throw birthday parties for kids (if they did adults I would be in there like swimwear but I'm too embarrassed to ask haha)! The best part really is that they are always changing their flavors while keeping most of them as regulars. You're always be surprised when you go in and there is always something new to try. It's really a must for people who like and love ice cream. Visit their website for more information http://amplehills.com.  

No comments:

Post a Comment