Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Pizza-iiiish

Considering I don't have the most balanced diet on the weekends, I try to keep a low carb and low sugar diet Monday - Thursday (Friday too, if I'm being extra disciplined so basically never haha). As well all know eating healthy can get pretty boring very fast. There are only so many eggs you can willingly eat without starting to get nauseous at the though. That's why it's important to try new things and experiment with your food a little. While trying to stay low carb and fighting off the daily urges of pizza my friend decided to create a cauliflower pizza crust. Being that she had some success from the creation I decided to do the same, but with a little twist. 

The cauliflower crust is extremely easy to make. There is a simple recipe that I loved. The only bad thing that I would say is that the crust never really gets that stereotypical crispy crust that we enjoy in a regular pizza. I'm sure you can try to dry out the cauliflower more or cook it longer, but I actually enjoy everything mushy and undercooked so it was fine for me. 

This is the recipe: 
Ingredients for Crust:
Nonstick spray
2 1/2 cups cauliflower, grated (about 1/2 a large head)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
(I also added Garlic Powder to taste)

Topping:
Arugula/Baby Spinach
Crumbled Goat Cheese
Part Skim Mozzefella 
1/2 Avocado

-Pre-heat the oven to 445•F 
-Grate the cauliflower with a grater until you have 2-1/2 cups (you can also use a food processor until they are roughly chopped) 
- Place cauliflower in a bowl and microwave until soft (usually 7 minutes) let cauliflower cool
- Mix egg, mozzarella, grated cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. 
- Once combined, pat and shape the mixture into your desired size pizza (usually 10inches, you don't want to create a pizza that is too thick or too thin because it will be either undercooked or burned). 
- Bake for 12 minutes or until brown
- Assemble toppings onto pizza crust according to your preferences and then bake for another 10 minutes. 

This was my finished product 





No comments:

Post a Comment