Sunday, June 14, 2015

Mucking for MS

Hey Everyone! Yesterday I participated in a 5K called MuckFest MS. This 5K was in honor of Multiple Sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis is a neurological disease where the immune system eats away at the protective covering of the nerves (ouch). This disease is extremely painful and can result in a variety of symptoms, some physicial and even cognitive. Around 2-3 million people suffer from MS, it is a chronic illness because, although there are treatments for the disease there is no cure. MS can occur in men and women but is 2-3 times more common in women and is also more prevalent in Caucasians than people of other ethnic backgrounds. For more information on MS, donating, and participating please visit  http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/PageServer?pagename=HOM_MUCK_MuckFest_info_newjersey

MS hits home for me because my best friend's mom has been battling this disease for a number of years. It has not only changed her life but has changed the life of my best friend and the rest of her family. This family is like a second family to me, I have watched them struggle and deal with everything that has come their way throughout the 10 years we have been friends, and I am honored to be considered apart of their family.  Since this disease effects so many people it is important to cause awareness and get people to donate.   The MuckFest was not only for a good cause but so much fun. There was a group of 14 of us and we did the run in NJ at the South Mountain Reservation. The venue was beautiful and I would definitely go there again to hike or even just visit the park. This was a mud run with about 17 obstacles, boy was it messy (I had to wash my hair three times when I get home haha)! I am so proud of all of us, mostly because of how wel we all worked together and supported one another. I can't wait to participate again next year with an even bigger group!  
This is the before and after haha 

Just to add a little bit of foodie-ness, considering this is a good blog, at the end of the run you get a free beer (who doesn't love free anything? Because obviously if it's for free its for me). The Traveler Beer Co is actually a National Sponsor for MuckFest. I'm a huge fan of their beer to begin with so I was thrilled r find out that's what they would be serving. I was even more excited when I saw that they had Grapefruit Ale. This beer had to be one of the best I've ever tried. I'm not a huge fan of beer, but the Grapfeuit Als is definitely something I can see indulging in again. It has sort of a Blue Moon taste but is crisper and lighter, it's definitely refreshing for the summer.  The grapefruit taste is not overpowering but is apparent, there is also some nice carbonation and earthiness of hops in the beer too. First grapefruit beer I have tried and something I'll be sipping on during these hot summer days in the future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment