Saturday, August 8, 2015

A Brooklyn Classic

If you grew up in South Brooklyn, your favorite part of leaving P.S 58 or coming home from work in the afternoon was stopping at Joe's Supperette, grabbing a couple of rice and prosciutto balls, and going to Carroll Park. No one had balls like Joe's and it was a classic South Brooklyn staple. It was something that you could rely on, that you grew up knowing. It didn't matter how old you were, you knew about Joe's and you would only want riceballs from there. A couple of years ago, unfortunately, Joe's closed due to the death of Leo. A truly tragic loss, both for the business of riceballs and the person that Leo was. Up until recently, I couldn't get my hands on any rice balls that lived up to Joe's. Other businesses would try, but they could never compare. Thankfully to a great family friend, Aaron Falcone, I finally had the balls that I've been missing from my life (bahahaha). 

Aaron has been making these rice balls for a while, and I finally got a chance to try them. He offered me some, and I picked them up without hesitation. My inner fat girl was jumping for joy and I cojuldnt wait to fry them up and have a taste. 

Look at that sizzlllleeeee! 

I think I over fried them a little but Flo was taking to long to do it, and I couldn't wait anymore (thanks, mom *rolls eyes* haha).  But that didn't stop them from being absolutely delicious. They tasted just like Joe's, possibly even better. The consistency was right, they had just enough crunch, and they were nice and creamy and didn't have to much pepper which I definitely appreciated. 
Look at those beauties! Nice big chunks of prosciutto and they even have the same coloring that Joe's balls had. Ugh I can't tell you how grateful I was to have them. A very big thank you to Aaron for giving me back a piece of my childhood and reminding me what it's like to have a decent riceball. You wouldn't think it would be so hard to find decent balls in Brooklyn, but it really is. Although nothing could live up to those afternoons at Joe's and getting greasy rice balls from Leo, Aaron is the guy to go to! You can find him on Facebook! 

No comments:

Post a Comment