Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Brrrrrr-ito

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of posts recently. Life has been pretty busy, I'm
also pretty lazy, but thankfully the discovery of delicious foods has not come to a halt. 

Fall is one of my favorite seasons. Mostly because you can walk miles in the city, eating and exploring, without sweating buckets. Also, the scenery of the city during the fall is one of the most beautiful things in the world to me. 

After seeing a picture of this fat burrito on Instagram, my bestfriend Millicia, made it a mission of ours to find it. So this weekend, we decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather, and set out to try it for ourselves. 

La Gringa Taqueria on Christopher St in the West Village is a quaint spot with an edgy vibe. A Dia de los Muertos skull mural is hand painted on a large wall, two seater wooden tables line the small restaurant, and other cool art is hung up along the walls. The playlist was pretty legit too, had me and Millicia singing along most of the time haha. 
 
La Gringa serves burritos, tacos, naked burritos, nachos, quesadillas, and salads. They have multiple topping options, which you pick out in pretty much an assembly line order. We both decided on a chicken burrito with the works. It was probably one of the best burritos I've ever had. Largely in part to the fresh guac and the option of adding sweet plantains, which no other place I've been to has given me. It was so huge, I could really only finish half my portion. Look at this chubby baby below! (Extra guac on the side because why not? Haha). 

I would definitely make my way back there, or even head over to their Brooklyn location since it's slightly more convenient. You wil not be disappointed , that's a definite. 

After the party is the after party, and by after party I mean dessert. This dessert day was a two-parter. We couldn't decide between going to a place for cookies we knew would be delicious or trying a new doughnut spot we'd never been to before. Both within walking distance of La Gringa, we stopped at Milk & Cookies on Commerce Street first. 

Milk & Cookies is a well known spot in the West Village for baked goods. They have numerous options for cookies, brownies, cakes, and even ice cream. They do walking food tours and have a recipe book (that the owner will come out and sign if she is in the shop at the time of purchase). Millicia got a double chocolate cookie and I got a milk chocolate salted caramel one. It was a large soft cookie filled with caramel and ooey gooey milk chocolate chips... Simply delicious. It made me want to try them all and wish that I had gotten more than one. I can't wait to go back. 

A little further, we decided to go to a newly opened place called Doughnut Project on Morton Street. They are rightfully known for the innovative flavors including beet and ricotta filled, and salt, pepper & olive oil.  Another small shop filled with cool art but very limited seating space. They serve coffee from the Brooklyn Roasting Company as well. We decided to get two and split them, Lemon Drop (lemon curd filled with a lemon glaze) and The Costanza (salted chocolate with a butter pretzel crumble). I've definitely heard wonderful things about this place, but to be honest I was slightly disappointed with the quality of the doughnuts. The flavors were there but the doughnuts seemed a little stale, I'm not sure if we just ended up being there on an off day but I was expecting better. I did enjoy the Lemon Drop more than The Constanza. Millicia didn't really enjoy either, commenting that they may have been too rich for her taste. 
All in all, we learned with dessert, that sometimes playing it safe is okay & that nothing beats a Dough doughnut in NYC and we should probably stop trying to find one that does. 

We ended our excursion that day with a trip to One World Observatory. Which was probably one of the most amazing experiences ever. A 360 degree view of the one of the greatest cities in the world from the highest building in the Western Hemisphere is something that is pretty hard to beat. Experiencing it with your best friend since the womb makes it even more priceless. A very very successful day in my book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment